Saturday 2 June 2012

Three Nursery Rhymes for my grandchildren


.
The Little Girl in the Piano

There is a girl in the piano’s shine
And she looks exactly just like me.
Whenever I crawl to that same place
It’s the same little girl I always see.
She has my doll and has my toys
She sits so quietly and makes no noise.
Whenever I want her she’s always there,
She wears my clothes and has my hair,
She has my smile and shares my stare,
And finally she even has my glare,
Especially when at last I see
That she does nothing but copy me.



The Little White Dog

The little white dog sits on the bookcase
On top of the big red dictionary.
When my Pa’s hand goes behind his back
He nods his head and barks at me.

He has a little black nose and a pointy face
And his coat is snowy white,
A little red vest that says “Guide Dog Pups”
And eyes that are black and bright.

I think he’s funny and very cute;
He makes me smile and laugh
But though he barks and nods his head
His voice does seem a lot like Pa’s.


Looking at Books and Practising Words.

Eleanor Miette with sparkling eyes
Is looking at books and practising words
And because she is just twelve months old
Some people may scoff and say “Absurd”

Her mother says she’s got more than thirty
And even Grandpa can understand a few.
He smiles and he knows that on every day
Eleanor Miette is finding something new.

Whenever she comes into the lounge
Eleanor Miette gives a sweet little growl.
It is the leopard’s picture on the wall
That makes her whisper her gentle “Miaow”.

But when it’s dark and time for bed
Though she can chatter, wave and say “Bye bye”,
Eleanor Miette, like so many babes
Just crumples her face and starts to cry.

1 comment:

  1. Written mostly from observations of my granddaughter, Eleanor, during the first year of her life.

    ReplyDelete