Sunday 21 August 2011

I scratch my hand across the glass


I scratch my hand across the glass
To let the light come through
But the pane is thick and frosted
So it dulls and obscures my view.

Perhaps if I scratch hard enough
These shadows will come clear
And if I unceasingly persist
What is distant will draw near.

I feel that there are truths
That I can strain my eyes and see
But all I see are shadows
Glimpsed but fleetingly.

Then I comprehend 
The glass is clear and bright;
It is the scales upon my eyes
That hinder and distort my sight

And clarity of vision is clouded
By the curtains of the mind,
So the dark things held within
Willingly distort and blind.

Knowing then that this is true
Provides a ray of light;
It is the simplicity of love
That surpasses clarity of sight.

And though the glass be dull and frosted-
Denying us things we want to know-
We can strive to dwell in love
And thus in brightness grow.

And in this state of blessedness
Truth can grow and shine
And sight can be directed
By the transformed mind.


1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass darkly...

No comments:

Post a Comment